Follow these tips from Lowe’s to beat the winter blues and decorate in style
MOORESVILLE, N.C. – In 2013, resolve to make your house a place to love and not just somewhere to live. Beat the winter blues by tackling the do-it-yourself project that’s been on your list for months. Start by focusing on simple updates to the living spaces you use most frequently, such as kitchens and baths.
This year, the kitchen thrives as the hub of the home, where it’s easier than ever to maximize space and functionality without sacrificing simplicity. Maple is emerging as a top choice for kitchen cabinets. Two-toned upper and lower cabinet colors are on trend and give homeowners a larger palette to personalize their space. Painted cabinets in white, black and gray hues are also on the rise.
From hands-free faucets to multifunction sinks, new product innovations are easy upgrades that can simplify tasks for a serious chef or even the most casual cook. Look for appliances with increased capacity and energy or water-efficient features to best meet your needs. With free next-day delivery and the largest offering of in-stock appliances among any retailer, a selection that includes every major brand, it’s never been easier to find the perfect appliance at Lowe’s.
In the bathroom, consider upgrading your vanity to add useful storage options and thoughtful design. The allen + roth Windelton modular bath vanity is customizable to suit your style and your space. Large-scale tile and small-scale mosaics are also popular, especially tiles with printed designs. Tiles with wood-like appearances offer consumers the look and warmth of wood, with the wet-space practicality of tile.
Paint continues to reign as the No. 1 do-it-yourself project because it’s the simplest, most affordable way to immediately impact the look and feel of a space. Turn drab, boring walls and rooms into spaces full of architectural details and style by following these five surprising paint tips:
- Alter the dimensions of a space by painting a ceiling in a slightly lighter color than the walls. It will trick the eye into thinking the ceilings are higher.
- Create patterns and shapes with paint and tape. Ombre effects, stripes and chevrons in every color combination – from monochromic to bold, bright hues – are on trend this season.
- Coordinate your paint palette with furniture already in your home to develop a perfect backdrop to your space. Our paint experts can color match a hue from a favorite piece of fabric to create a personalized look that’s all your own.
- Test colors with paint samples. Lowe’s offers already mixed paint samples in each season’s hottest hues that you can easily grab and go. It’s a great way to experiment with bold colors to see how the light affects the paint’s appearance in your home.
- Consider creating your own architectural details by painting interior doors and trim in a colorful hue instead of traditional white. Painting the trim and door a different color will make a dramatic statement with a pop of color.
Visit Lowe’s LookBook for a media-only peek at these tips and subscribe to receive email notifications of the latest product innovations and home trends and tips. For more project ideas, visit LowesCreativeIdeas.com or download the latest iPad app for free in the iTunes Newsstand.
With fiscal year 2011 sales of $50.2 billion, Lowe’s Companies, Inc. is a FORTUNE® 100 company that serves approximately 15 million customers a week at more than 1,745 home improvement stores in the United States, Canada and Mexico. Founded in 1946 and based in Mooresville, N.C., Lowe’s is the second-largest home improvement retailer in the world. For more information, visit Lowes.com
Photos/Multimedia Gallery Available: http://www.businesswire.com/multimedia/home/20130122006367/en/